The aspect of desire she explored was other than what I had imagined.
What we want is closely aligned to what we feel are the possibilities and potentialities afforded by the context of our lives.
Desire for educational often deferred, it is shaped in terms of other desires. The dream of salvation through romance becomes transformed into the dream of salvation through education.
Feminist critique of essayist literacy – coded as binary
- logic over emotion
- academic truth over personal experience
- linearity of circularity
- explicitness over evocation
- closing down of possible meanings as opposed to opening up
- certainty over uncertainty
- formality over informality
Writing viewed from an either/or perspective. Unmarked form – the norm.
- tutor-directive dialogue aimed at talking the student-writer into essayist literacy practice
- collaborative dialogue aimed at populating the student-writers text with her own intentions
- tutor-directive dialogue aimed at making language visible
- dialogue which facilitates student talkback as part of a long conversation
- Dominant è resistant
- Skills è creative expression è socialisation (teaching as implicit induction) è socialisation (teaching as explicit induction) è academic literacies
- HE as homogeneous: reproduce dominant discourses è HE as heterogeneous make visible, challenge, play with (& subvert) dominant discourses